Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Quinoa Greek Breakfast Basket

We just celebrated my daughters 5th birthday this past weekend and we ended up having some left over crudités. I wondered what I could make, using up those veggies & some other things I already had in the fridge so I wouldn't have to waste anything. 


I had some feta I was going to use for another recipe, but ended up not making it. I always have eggs on hand, since I'm a BAKEAHOLIC. And I almost always have puff pastry on hand, cause I just love that stuff! Broccoli, tomatoes, eggs.... Yes, I had to make breakfast!!! Although, this recipe would be great for brunch too! 

So I got to thinking... There's this amazing local coffee shop here on the North Shore, Haleiwa Coffee Gallery. They make super awesome breakfast pastries. AND, they make these yummy egg baskets from time to time. You could say this recipe is inspired by them. Same concept, different flavors, but still. OH. SO. YUMMY!!  

I hope you enjoy these as much as my family & I did! 



RECIPE SERVES 8 

What you'll need:
Sheet Pan
Bakers Cooling Rack
Two, 6 Count Cupcake/Muffin tin for large cupcakes
Foil
Ice Cream Scoop
Large mixing bowl & spoon
Pam Baking Spray

Ingredients:
1 Two count package of Puff Pastry sheets, thawed. 
**You can find puff pastry in the frozen food section of your grocery store. 
6 Strips of bacon, cooked & chopped. 
1c Blanched broccoli, chopped.
1c Ready made quinoa. I just used some leftovers I had.
1c Halved cherry or grape tomatoes. 
**If your your tomatoes are on the larger side, cut them in quarters.
8oz. Block of feta cheese, crumbled. 
**You could buy the one that's already crumbled. I was just using what I already had.
6 eggs
Thyme **I used about 5 sprigs. You can use more or less. I love thyme! To take the leaves off, grab the sprig at the top, then take your other hand & use your thumb & pointer finger to gently pull down and take the leaves off the sprig. 

Seasonings:
Garlic Salt
Pepper
Smoked Paprika



Step one cook your quinoa & your bacon.

Quinoa: 1 cup quinoa, to 2 cups of water. Place in a small pot, bring to a boil then simmer till all liquid is absorbed. About 15 minutes, remove from heat when done & fluff with a fork. Be sure that the quinoa is completely cooled before adding it to you other ingredients. I actually cooked my quinoa the night before & used the leftovers from dinner. **Tip: Instead of using water, you can use chicken or veggie stock to give it more flavor.  

Bacon:


**Again, be sure that the bacon & quinoa is completely cooled before adding to the rest of your ingredients. 

PREHEAT YOUR OVEN TO 350 DEGREES

Step Two: In a large mixing bowl, add your broccoli, tomatoes, feta, eggs, thyme leaves (roughly chopped), and your cooled bacon & quinoa. Mix and season to your liking. Don't add too much salt, as the bacon & feta is fairly salty. Set the bowl aside and work on....

Step Three: Lightly spray your muffin tins with Pam & set aside. Now take your puff pastry & unfold it on to a floured counter or large enough chopping board. To flatten, you can use your hands or a rolling pin if you have one. Cut both sheets into 4 pieces, and you'll end up with 8 squares. Use one square per round to line the muffin tins.



Step 4: Using your ice cream scoop, scoop and evenly distribute your quinoa/egg mixture into the lined muffin tins. 



***Topping them with cheese is optional. Its totally up to you. Like I was saying earlier, I was just trying to use up whatever leftovers I had. 


Step Five: Place the tins into your preheated oven & bake between 30-40 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through cooking so they can cook evenly. Check them at 30 minutes, if they seem a little wet and you see the sides bubbling with liquid, put them back in for another 5 minutes. You'll know they're done when the bubbling is very little to none & the pieces of pastry that are sticking out are golden brown. I had mines baking for about 38 minutes total. Every oven is different, so just keep an eye on them towards the end of your cooking time. 


When they're done, place them on the counter & let cool for about 5-10 minutes before taking them out. After they have cooled for a bit, use a butter knife & carefully run the knife between the puff pastry & the muffin tin to gently release them from the pan. Lift them out carefully & place them on a serving dish or plate & ENJOY! 






No comments:

Post a Comment